Thursday 13 September 2007

Girls and gaydar

I have been wondering about this issue for a while now. Is there some mechanism that draws girls to gays, sexually I mean? I'm not talking about going shopping with them here.

Is it the thrill of the unobtainable? Or the challenge of testing one's ability to draw attention of people who are evidently not interested? Are they wondering if they are pretty enough to flip the guy? I remember a Seinfeld episode where Elaine tried to do exactly that. Without success, obviously, but I'm sure there are women out there who believe it can be done. Of course, it reflects on the bisexuality of the guy too, but the woman probably views it as her own accomplishment.

Or is it a biological defence mechanism, to ensure the human gene pool does not become too shallow? The more practising breeders, the more diversity in genes I guess.

Anyway, since I've pretty much decided to give this man love thing a try, I've had more female attention than in the entire year before. I'm basking in the irony of it all. It's mostly just innocent flirting, but that hardly used to happen before.

Maybe it's just me. I'm feeling more at peace with myself, confident, I often feel I'm radiating security and that I certainly never used to do. I'm more open, better at carrying a conversation, and generally a whole lot more talkative and willing to take the initiative. Basically, I'm becoming less introverted and developing the balls needed to do this thing.

So I guess this version of me is much more attractive than insecure old me. I've got more money to spend, so I'm dressing better. I've changed my hairstyle at the beginning of the year. I'm losing a little weight. I never used to be chubby or anything close to fat, but the package is improving every day.

I'm no Adonis, so what's up? It's probably that old confidence thing again.

2 comments:

J.R. said...

I think you nailed it with the confidence things. Girls/guys pick up on that and it's attractive. I mean, do all of these girls hitting on you even know you're "giving the man love thing a try"? Haha.

Regardless, attention is always nice! Enjoy it.

Nothing Golden Stays

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Probably it is a combination of things. Girls love confidence in a man, gay guys tend to be less of a clumsy gorilla than straight guys and finally some people just don't get the whole gay thing, that we are not straight people going through a phase, waiting to be switched back.